Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I'm the Piano Man

Of course, today in class you were treated to either Harry Chapin's Taxi or Springsteen's Meeting Across the River. Both narrators were flawed characters, one a stoned cabbie and the another a Soprano wannie-be who's about to do something illegal to make a quick two grand. Other than you're ability to riff on these rock classics, I hope you didn't miss the other point,that being that interesting characters are often flawed ones, their flaws revealing certain inherent weaknesses in the human condition like greed, ambition, jealousy, etc. In many cases, they're aware of their faults, sometimes try to correct them, but fail and fail again or maybe they succeed and amend their ways forever. This doesn't happen in the course of a four-minute song where characters are "static" and don't change a bit, but in YOUR short story . . . . Well, here you have more than four minutes to put these characters to the test, place them into a situation where they are faced with an internal conflict to TRY to change, and depending on your own inclination, they can fall flat on their face or lift themselves out of the mire.

Do I take requests? Someone shouted out for Billy Joel's Piano Man in class today, I think. Sure. I know a little Billy Joel. Imagine this guy's life, playing songs for lovable drunks in a cheap bar--part-time entertainer, part-time philosopher, part-time psychologist. Here's my short story. It's part interior, part dramatic monologue, and I talk to my flawed but interesting customers, listen to their sad stories, and pick certain songs to play to lighten up their otherwise humdrum existences. One of my piano favorites is Hoagy Carmichael's Stardust. Another is Dave Brubreck playing You Go to My Head. Or Antonio Carlos Jobim's The Girl from Ipanema. Before last call every night, I close my show every night with a sing-along to, of course, Piano Man. Come on in to my piano bar and I guarantee that you'll feel better.

4 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutly LOVE billy joel. My favortie song of all time has to be the Piano Man, most likely because my parents are big Billy fans and I listened to his music constantly as a child.(I even got tickets to his concert in Philly on Feb. 14th for christmas) I just love songs that tell a story and all of his seem to. I can't listen to rap or anything like that because I just dosen't seem to tell a story to me. Songs can tell us so much about people, life, places, things. It's amazing.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fio-
All I had to read was "Piano Man" and I was sold. I have to admit, I've been a huge fan of Billy Joel ever since I was in kindergarten - no lie. I would sing along to "River Of Dreams" in the car on the radio at the tender age of five. It wasn't until about 7th grade I got into it "Piano Man" style. I have a lot of respect for him and the amount of work he has put into writing songs and composing music.

I think the piano is by far the most awesome instrument created. I used to take lessons when I was young, but at 8 years-old I decided I had "too much going on in my life." Now I'm kicking myself for being so stubborn, but I decided to push pride aside, whip out the old piano lesson books, and teach myself.

From reading some of my other entries, it may seem like I have somewhat of an obsession with Something Corporate and Jack's Mannequin, but I recently discovered that Andrew McMahon (of SoCo and Jack's Mannequin, his side project) has a blog. I really recommend reading it - not only is he a phenomenal writer and pianist, but the story he has to tell gave me a whole new perspective on life and the world around us (jacksmannequin.blogs.com).

And while you're at it, maybe take a listen to some of his music. I think he's a modernized rock form of Billy Joel.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger JTF said...

Billy Joel wrote so many good songs, fun ones, that even "at the tender age of five" you could sing along to. He came along when I was in college, at least that's when he "got big." I loved a song called "Say Goodbye to Hollywood (Say Goodbye, My Baby)," which has the beat and feel of the Phil Spector classic, "Be My Baby." "Uptown Girl" was classic Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons, complete with floor stomping a la "Walk Like a Man" (Queen would take the stomp to a new level with the gym bleacher rattling "We Will Rock You"). "New York State of Mind" was Ray Charles R&B jazzy. I have a great interview tape of Joel discussing and playing his songs on the Bravo Channel. Twist my arm and I'll show it some rainy day.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger JTF said...

nobody puts . . .
"Only the good die young" is an old phrase that pre-dates Billy Joel by light years. It's cliche, certainly, but sometimes cliches are helpful for people who don't know the right words to say. I do know, however, that I wouldn't feel much consolation if someone said these words to me after if I had lost a young friend or family member. As a rule, if you find yourself about to use a cliche, stop, rethink things, and rephrase your words so that they reflect your own personal ideas.

The song, as you may know, is about some specific wish that the narrator has for Virginia, the Catholic girl who starts much too late. I find the narrator and the lyrics kinda crass and uncool. I mean, why resort to begging and pitting some girl against her religious beliefs in order to . . . Well. You get my point. It's an OK tune, though, but NOT an appropriate song for any Catholic occasion, certainly not a wedding.

I also think it's funny that you, and many girls, pick out their wedding songs before they even have met their guy (unless you have, of course).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home