Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Hero's Journey

Here are some links that will give you the steps of The Hero's Journey, an idea developed by Joseph Campbell and presented to you by Mr. Gamgemi.

This link shows the journey in a picture form.

This link is quite creative. You can literary journey all over the site with your backpack, learning as you traverse link to link.

Mr. G and I discussed how even a lighthearted simple tale like Updike's A & P follows this journey. I don't know how much of a hero Sammy is by the end of the story, but at least he's out of the bow tie and starched white shirt, maybe looking for another Queenie to rescue.

5 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi!!! i wasn't in class today because i was building houses for poor folk(habitat for humanity) all day, so i was just wondering what i missed. hope you have a great christmas and a wonderful new year!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger JTF said...

Liz,
What a great reason to miss class, truly. I briefly went over some ideas for your short story assignment and then showed a video about a heroic character named Homer who braved ice and snow to rescue his friend, Barney. E-mail me at fiospartan@aol.com if you need handouts from Tuesday. Have a Merry Christmas.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hmm.... i seem to have misplaced the date of when the journal entries are due. have an idea?
thank you! Kelly Muldoon
ahh PS- have new years eve!

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger JTF said...

sparkellyism,
Journals are due on January 6. I'm mulling over short story final due date (talk me into making them due after exams or having the option of handing them in before for extra credit) Happy New Year.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Fiorelli! OK, so this will be my first attempt at reading your "blog" I have decided to use this as one of my journal entries, but I'm really not quite sure how long this will turn out to be. I picked this recent blog entry of your's because I felt it was the one that I could relate to the most. I don't really watch seinfield very often (pause for chuckles) . I really enjoyed the class period that Mr. G came in and talked to us about the basic fundamentals in the short story. I felt that he related everything very well to current movies in which we could further understand his points. I also learned quite a few more tips for writing a short story. Never have I so thoroughly analized the fundamentals of a short story and I feel as though I learned alot from his teaching. Thanks so much for that opportunity!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home