Monday, November 14, 2005

Garden State

Poor New Jersey is headed to the shrink's couch again. The sad sack state has always suffered from serious cases of neurosis and schizophrenia in the image area. State officials invested over a $250,000 with global image consultant, Lippincott Mercer, to come up with a catchy state tourism slogan as successful [sic] as the previous one--"New Jersey and You--Perfect Together." But acting Gov. Richard Codey rejected the company's recommendation as too negative a day before it was unveiled: "New Jersey--We'll Win You Over." Codey thinks the slogan puts his state in a defensive position.

So now, the state is asking its citizens for their ideas. Not surprisingly, denizens of the Garden State have reverted to their self-deprecating ways, perhaps out of habit. Results are pouring in, even from celebrities. Supposedly, both Joe Piscipo [still a celebrity?] and Robert DeNiro submitted this one: "New Jersey, you got a problem with that?"Another entry brags, "Most of Our Elected Officials Have Not Been Indicted." The Philadelphia Inquirer suggested, " New Jersey--It Always Smells Like This."

Others accentuate the positive, like the musical "Born to Fun," a tribute to Bruce Springsteen, or "From Ol Blue Eyes (Sinatra) to the Boss (Bruce), New Jersey is Singing Your Song." Fans of the HBO mob series, The Sopranos, might like the sound of "Bada Bing, Choose New Jersey," but officials are unlikely to borrow wiseguy slang to promote Jersey's image.

I suppose it's unlikely that you young Delaware residents would spend time to help out your neighbors in Jersey. But anytime I can stretch the creative muscles and have some fun in the process, I'm game. If you're up to it, too, then click this link and send your suggestion right to the governor's office. As for me, after summering for many years in Wildwood, growing up with Springsteen and his romanticized odes to the Jersey cities, the Jersey turnpike, and the Jersey Shore, I'm picking up good vibrations. To make my choice even more Jersey appropriate, I'm borrowing from Zach Braff in his great movie Garden State for my slogan: "New Jersey--No, I Like It."

2 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 'New Jersey--It Always Smells Like This' makes me laugh. This summer I was driving to Glassboro with some friends and the girl driving got completely lost and she started freaking out. She pulled over, got out of the car and exclaimed - "New Jersey smells like s#!%!!!!" (I don't know if you have some no profanity rule). But it did smell pretty weird up there.
I love the New Jersey beaches, I have a lot of family in New Jersey in and around Seaside Park, where it doesn't smell, and we've been going to the beach up there my whole life. Unfortunately, whenever I try to think of something catchy and clever, it doesn't work out.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger JTF said...

Bad news. The slogan contest has been ended (you'll find that out if you click on the link). Which reminds me of an joke. "I went to New Jersey the other night, but it was closed." Good ol' Jersey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home