Sunday, February 26, 2006

I, Too, Dislike It

I, too, dislike it: there are things that are important beyond all this ---fiddle. -Reading it, however, with a perfect contempt for it, one discovers in -it after all, a place for the genuine. (from 'Poetry', 1921)

These are lines from Marianne Moore's poem entitiled, Poetry, that might express your own sentiments about the genre (especially the first line). Moore, however, was specifically expressing her disdain for the poetry of her time that had become overly esoteric. On the other hand, I don't see any evidence of displeasure coming from the cows that are listening to the poetry reading in this old Far Side cartoon. I think that they hear the poet's message loud and clear: "Don't fence me in."

I've added two links that will help you with your own study of poetry. Poetry.com and Poetry Daily are basic on-line primers for the most underappreciated and misunderstood of all literary genres, the poem. Look around these sites. I bet that you'll discover lines as inspiring as "Damn the electric fence!"

1 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Blogger JTF said...

Renee,
Hopefully this unit on poetry will at least bring the haters closer to at least an appreciation of the genre. Meanwhile, your attitude of agreeing to disagree is a good one for everyone to have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home