Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Do The Freddy!

Even more so than the bobbin' along of the red, red robin, the reporting of pitchers and catchers to baseball spring training announces the arrival of spring. When I was a big baseball fan (as every little boy my age was growing up), just the thought of baseball Opening Day was enough to get the spring juices flowing. Yes, I would even follow the scores of the not-so-meaningless-to-me Grapefruit League games, trying to prognosticate the success of my fighting Phillies and beloved Yankees.

My first word associations with baseball today conjure modern dilemmas like steroids, free agency, and Barry Bonds. I don't care much anymore about the sport until September, when the pennant races begin to rev up and wind down. But I still get a kick (as these pitchers and catchers do), of the annual dumb publicity photos that show the early birds "working out" before the position players arrive.

The players all seem to be performing a weird dance, like the 1963 Freddie, initiated by the groovy guys from Manchester, England, Freddie and the Dreamers. What do you think?

2 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents attended the Freddy and the Dreamers concert at the old Armory on DuPont Street in '63. (Dad was probably to cheap to buy tickets to the Beach Boys concert the night before at the same place.) They were so impressed by Freddie that they decided then and there to name their first son Fred. After a lot of years of trying I finally came along and, to make a long story short, they named me "Jennifred" Needless to say, my life has not been an easy one and now this resurrection of that horrible group. I've come forward at this time in an effort to convince any of your obviously bright and concerned students who read this to name their own kids in a more sensitive manner. Sorry for the negative vibe in this comment.

Jen

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger JTF said...

girl named fred,

I'm always thankful that people like you, regardless of your own pain, are willing to offer sound advice on this site. No need to apologize for the negative vibe. Let the healing begin, Jenny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home