Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A Canary in a Coal Mine--Kurt Vonnegut

I saw Kurt Vonnegut on Real Time with Bill Maher the other night and he was bitching about the human race. No longer a lovable cynic, he was so serious that he even spooked ageless hippy-dippy weatherman George Carlin, one of Maher's panelists. Me, I think Vonnegut is still pissed that his acting career ended in 1986 with the Rodney Dangerfield movie, Back to School (Sam Kinison upstaged everyone is his scene-stealing performance as a Vietnam vet history professor who "really seems to care . . . about what I don't know" according to Rodney).

Like most aging dinosaurs, Vonnegut probably suffers from a serious case of self-importance, aggravated by declining acclaim. His words, at least, continue to inspire: "I still feel an urgency to be a good citizen, to draw people's attention to things, to function as a canary in a coal mine. . . . I'm whistling as I walk past the graveyard, and I'm whistling as beautifully as I can."

Next blog entry might be my favorite whistling songs.

1 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the update on Kurt. What a giant!! Sadly underappreciated for his sensitive portrayal of himself in that classic Dangerfield film. Any news on Richard Bach who wrote the still classic Jonathon Livingston Seagull? "JLS" was his best known work but I have found frequent inspiration in some of his equally great but lesser known works as well. Contact me at LouisZerr@hotmail.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home