Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Catch a Wave in Heaven (Remembering Mr. Joseph O'Neill)

My friend, a long-time St. Mark's teacher and coach, Mr. Joe O'Neill, passed away May 20, 2009. I remember him every day.

Mr. O'Neill was here at St. Mark's when the doors opened in 1969. He was a guidance counselor in every sense of the word guidance. For many years he served as the head boys' and girls' cross country coach, and the boys' track coach.

The accompanying photo pictures Mr. O'Neill with his grandson Brendan (now a junior at St. Mark's) looking out into the Pacific Ocean. Joe always dreamed of going to California--he loved the Beach Boys and the surf--and he finally made it out to Cali the summer before he passed away. I only regret that I wasn't with him on the trip to witness first hand his excitement. But boy, did he talk about that trip when he came back! And listening to him was maybe just as much fun as being there.

Mr. O'Neill was one of those rare persons who made you feel good just by talking to him. Irish through and through, he loved to converse (yes, he kissed the Blarney Stone on a trip to Ireland), but what he had to say was never nonsense. In fact, he was a master of clear talking and thinking, and he mocked (though gently) those who "bloviated" pretentiously.

He loved to tell stories, and I was on the receiving end many times, so when I was asked to speak at his funeral, I repeated, with honor, some of his wonderful often-told tales.
Remembering him every day makes me, at least, think, that I'm becoming a better person.

But as good as I might ever become, I will always be at least a transcontinental flight away from being the kind of man that he was. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home