Sunday, February 09, 2014

Seniors: Week of 2-10

Buy Cuckoo's Nest ASAP

Please tell your parents that I will not be available for parent-teacher conferences because I have an away basketball game at Sussex Central that night. They can contact me at jfiorelli@stmarkshs.net to communicate.

for Monday's class: Come to class with 10 questions and/or comments on "The Jilting of Granny Weatherall" for class discussion. We will especially focus on the passages that use stream of consciousness to reveal Granny's character and concerns.

for Tuesday's class:(Mass schedule) finish "Granny" and peer evaluations of interior monologues

for Wednesday's class: peer evaluation of interior monologues

for Thursday's class: (short periods) read "Cut" by Bob Greene (it's on Studywiz). Read Bob Greene’s article entitled “Cut” and then answer these questions for class on Wednesday. Recommended length is 4-6 sentences.  

1. Explain how Granny’s jilting by George is similar to the experiences of these men who were cut or belittled in youth sports. Cite specific lines from “Cut” and from “Granny.” Compare and contrast how Granny and the men reacted.  

2. The last man who describes his “cut” experience is Dan Rather, now 82 years old. Briefly research Dan Rather and his accomplishments. With what accomplishments are you most impressed, ones that you might attribute to the “toughness” he developed from being cut. 

for Friday's class: I will introduce a short story called "Where Are You Going? Where Have You Been?" that we will begin to read in class in preparation for our next test.


1 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Anonymous BrighidM-RED said...

1) In Katherine Anne Porter’s “The Jilting of Granny Weatherall,” the reader comes to find that Granny had been jilted by a man named, George. Meaning, she had been left at the alter. We know this through several hints that are placed throughout the story of a man name George. His mentioning leaves the reader suspicious as to what happened but we soon know that she was left at the alter by this man. Through these hints we know that this jilting left a huge mark on Granny’s life. Even after decades, and while Granny is on her deathbed, she recalls everything that happened when she got jilted. She remembers it as if it was yesterday. When Cornelia asked Granny if there was anything she could do for her Granny replies with wanting to see George after sixty years of not wanting anything to do with the man. She says, “I want you to find George. Find him and be sure to tell him I forgot him. I want him to know I had my husband just the same and my children and my house like any other woman. A good house too and a good husband that I loved and fine children out of him. Better than I had hoped for even. Tell him I was given back everything he took away and more.” This shows the reader that she still is bothered by what George did to her and it has stuck with her for many years. She wants George to know that her life was better without him and she would almost like to thank him for giving her more than she could ever ask for by leaving him. Even, if this was not necessarily the truth. “Cut” by Bob Greene, is a narrative that has several incidences of men being cut from a sports team. We read stories of each man’s incidence and find that being cut from a sports team has also left a huge mark on their life, just as Granny’s jilting did. In regards to being cut, the author says, “...But I know my ambition has been enormous ever since then: I know that all my life since that day, I have done more work than I had to be doing, taken more assignments than I had to be taking, put in more hours than I had to be spending. I don’t know if all of that came from a determination never to allow myself to be cut again - but I know it’s there.” This shows that being cut from a sports team, something that should be insignificant years later, actually still has taken a toll on those who it had happened too.

1) Dan Rather, who was cut from his seventh-grade baseball team, has had many accomplishments. He is an American journalist and is a former anchor of the, “CBS Evening News.” He also has contributed to CBS’s 60 Minutes. Now, he has is own television news magazine called, “Dan Rather Reports,” where he is the anchor and managing editor. This I believe is the most impressive accomplishment of his. In “Cut,” Rather claims to not know if a man can point to one event in his life and say that that’s the thing that made him the way he is today but after reading all his accomplishments I am a strong believe that sometimes we have to undergo failure or hardship to reach our full potential as human beings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home