Friday, October 09, 2009

Senior Rage for Words: The Answers!!

When we arrived in Chicago, we could breathe the music. [music is being compared to air, a metaphor] jtf schoolsville

As ... my older brother was there to show me the ropes of this weird new world [ropes of the new world is a metaphor for the rules of life ... weird new world is alliteration]

Experience as a detour in my life ... getting back on the right track[detour and right track are metaphors]

Beautiful baby boy radiating like an angel [simile]

We .. sneakily slip [alliteration] Our normal loot [loot metaphor]

Each year brought new work projects, new obstacles, and new memories [parallel structure of "new" phrases]

my faithful clumsiness did me in [clusminess is personified]

I rose from a bed that beckoned for me [bed beckoned is alliteration and personification]

It was if I had pieced together the perfect guy on my own [pieced ... perfect alliteration and pieced a perfect guy is a metaphor. NOTE: "perfect guy" is not an oxymoron].

I hear an explosion of applause like a thousand little gunshots [simile comparing applause to gunshots].

Every word said, every favorite song sung during the funeral felt as if if bounced off of me, as if I was wearing an iron suit, protecting me from the truth I did not want to face [lots of stuff going on here--metaphor of wearing an iron suit to protect me one the truth (personified)].

My fingers curled into white-knuckled fists as I stared out the tinted window of my parent's SUV, watching the cars and trees blend into disfigured images before my eyes [good visual imagery, fingers curled into white-knuckled fists---cars and trees blend into disfigured images]

We have been able to weave together a sisterhood with the strings intertwined for eternity [metaphor of weaving sisterhood with strings].

It was like the whole rest of the world was on mute, except for that pestering clock up on the wall [world on metaphorical mute and pestering personified clock on the wall].

This whole carefree mindset was switched off the moment those flashing red and blue lights switched on [metaphor of mindset switched off; wordplay of switched off and switched on].

She paused for a brief moment, standing as still as a mannequin, waiting for the pitter-patter of Alicia's feet to end [simile of she compared to a mannequin].

As we sat down, my mind was pushed into rewind mode and the past few weeks came flooding back to me in a blur [mind in metaphorical rewind mode; weeks metaphorically flooding].

When I had looked for several minutes and found no sign of her, panic spread like venom [panic simile spread like a venom].

The weeks of the trip flew by. I could almost see the days on the calendar being crossed out right before my eyes [visual image of weeks being crossed out; weeks metaphorically flying by].

I had never really considered my life much more than ordinary [good opening sentence, not that you would know unless you read the essay].

Kevin had become accustomed to the bombardment and casually answered every question fired at him [a questioning parent's metaphorical bombardment (with questions fired)].

I watched cars and people outside living their everyday lives, as I was in a cell swimming up to my neck in regret [regret metaphorically fills up the pool/holding cell and the jailed person is swimming].

I wished I didn't know addiction, the wrecking ball that ruined my family [addiction metaphorically compared to a wrecking ball].

But other times, like on the golf course after a four-putt, he pouts like a puppy and disappears from the rest of the world [putt, pouts, puppy ... alliteration and he compared in a simile to a puppy].

I decided that what I really wanted was to be the athlete who was cheered for and not the drummer boy cheering [parallel structure creates sense of contrast between the "cheered for" and the "cheering"].

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home