Friday, September 11, 2009

Sophs & Seniors--Always Remember


Please read. This is NOT an assigned journal entry. You MAY respond to me or to one another. There is no specific writing prompt.

Just as I (and maybe your parents) can remember where we were when we heard of John F. Kennedy's assassination. . . . Just as your great-grandparents can recall the exact moment when news first broke of the Pearl Harbor attack. . . . Now you have a day burned just as deeply into your memory.

You tenth graders were nervous second graders. You seniors undoubtedly confident fourth graders. All over Pike Creek Valley, all over the East Coast, it was a beautiful day that belied the horror that was to come.

The world changed that day, at least our worlds changed, here in America. Our peaceful, protected, way of life crumbled when the towers fell.

I remember the days after 9-11 living in, if not, fear, then in at least extreme apprehension. Would there be more terror attacks? If so, of what type? Could we really protect ourselves with enough duct tape and plastic to withstand a "dirty" nuclear bomb? Was our mail system polluted with anthrax, and if so, who was the next target? Did we really ever want to get on an airplane again? Or travel to New York City? Or go to any event where large groups of people congregated?

I know that my reaction to that tragedy influenced everything that I did for the following months. My eyes were glued to the television set for news, mostly for assurance, for hope, that things were not as bad as they seemed. For the most part, as each day passed without additional tragedy, I felt a gradual sense of relief, calm, and safety living in America again.

Having seen the images in New York, having heard the many stories of bravery, I developed a keener sense of respect and admiration for firefighters, policemen, and emergency workers of all types. My brother-in-law is a Wilmington policeman, a kind man, a gentle loving father of three boys. When he's in uniform with his police radio and weapon, however, he's something altogether different. He's a defender of my city, a protector of the innocent, in pursuit of "bad guys" who would drive drunk, burglarize my home, or worse yet, commit acts of terror in our country. He and many others like him do this so that you can write responses to questions in your journal, so that I can correct errors in dangling participles and wrong tenses, and so that we can try to return to the nicer, safer, more peaceful way of the world that we knew before September 11, 2001. His daily sacrifice resonates more deeply in light of the recent tragedy in which a Georgetown, DE policeman was killed pursuing a criminal.

Eight years later, we do not forget the heroes that fell then. Hopefully, we continue to recognize the heroes that rise and work to protect us now. Prayerfully, we ask God for an end to the violence that plagues our towns and our world.

2 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Anonymous MTpurple said...

September 11th is our generation’s major tragedy. I was in 4th grade at the time; I really cannot recall much of the event. At the time I was playing crazy bones with my friend Kyle I also remember overhearing my 4th grade teacher Miss. Alexandria talking to the teachers across the hall about not turning the televisions on. Soon after hearing that over the loud speaker you heard our loving principle Mrs. Kirkwood say classes are over for the day, we all jumped and screamed,” we get a half day, we get a half day"! I was the last student to leave my class. I arrived at home, and I was trying to watch TV but I could not find any of my cartoons on every channel there were news reports of course of I was young and had no interest in the news, I went to ask my dad what was going on, he never would tell me. I guess he did not want to wreck my innocence. Now that I am old enough to understand what happened on that tragic day, the hero’s on that flight who fought back saved the white house, those people who lost loved ones on the flights or people working in the twin towers, I salute you and pray for you all. I will never forget the day as long as I will live, I will always remember the heroes of 9/11 from the passengers to the fire fighters. On that day America became one, trying to help each other and save one another. I am proud to be an American, are you? I just wish that I knew what was happening on 9/11 in the 4th grade.

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous lbyellow said...

I remember the day as if it was just yesterday. I was in the fourth grade, working diligently out of my Phonics book. I heard the footsteps of Mrs. Quinn as she walked in with a discreet look on her face. “Class, your parents will be coming shortly to pick you up.” I was inquisitive as to the reason, but excitement overcame my curiosity; we were getting the rest of the day off! To an eight year old, that’s almost as good as being able to have every toy in the world. Once I got into my mother’s van, she told me that planes hit the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York City. This, however, didn’t mean anything to me, and at that instant, I wished I had the intelligence and maturity to comprehend what was happening. We got home after a long car ride, and I sat by my mother as we watched the television. Every channel was the same, all having the same picture of the burning buildings, and people running and screaming for their lives. My mom also told me that my Aunt was supposed to be at the World Trade Center that day, but she decided she was going to go the following day. After my mom told me this, it made me think of all those children who would be losing their mothers of fathers, aunt and uncles, or grandparents to this tragic event. I could elaborate a lot more on this day in history, but I know that everyone knows and has their personal stories to tell. People live their everyday lives, wondering what it would be like if their loved one was still there with them. Children, who will never be able to graduate with both parents by their side, and firefighters who will miss their fellow firefighters that gave their life this day. We continue to remember this day, and never forget its importance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home