Thursday, October 20, 2005

One Scene With Extra Cheese, Please

Nothing tastes better than Velveeta, the processed food substitute that outcheeses the real thing. And nothing sounds better than a great cheesy movie line. Come on. Admit it. You wait for these cheesy movie lines each time you watch your favorite cheesy movie and you laugh. Or smile. Or give a big "awwwww." It doesn't matter that the lines seem so unrealistic, so contrived, so sometimes out of character. They still work.

"You had me at hello." Did the Renee Z character really get over so easily the way Jerry Maguire jerked her around ? All it took was Jerry remaking the image of some spoiled football star to show her that deep down, he really did have a heart?

"No one puts Baby in the corner!" (one of my blog responders is going by this moniker. Who are you?) Wow, man. Chill. OK, we'll find a better seat for Baby. No, you're not going up on stage to dance, too. You're a wild man. Swayze continues: "I do the last dance every year, and I'm going to do it again this year. Except I'm going to do it my way." (quotes are very much approximated).

"I'm the King of the World." Right, Leo. Tomorrow morning you'll still be with the rest of the hired help. Or going down with a sinking ship.

Even mobster movies aren't exempt. In The Godfather, for example. "Leave the body, take the cannolis." I like cannolis, too, Clemenza, but after you just blew someone's brains out, haven't you lost your appetite just a little bit?

And my favorite, of course. "I'm just a girl standing in front of a boy asking him to love her." World famous movie star Julia Roberts lays this one on a simple British bookshop owner, Hugh Grant, who then turns HER down. Double unrealistic.

Dialogue in movies, drama, and prose, for that matter, isn't always very realistic. Still all of the aforementioned movie lines have their appeal. Good dialogue may sometimes get a little cheesy, but at least it is NOT ordinary. To me, the trick is to write extraordinary, fascinating, or at least, interesting dialogue, and make it SEEM entirely natural for the situation. The pros, in any profession, make the difficult look easy. Barry Bonds hitting a home run. Pavarotti hitting the right notes. When you read, watch drama, film, or TV, listen carefully to the dialogue and then think about what it does. It creates character, conflict, dramatic tension, moves the plot along, and makes us laugh, cry, and get angry. It sounds real although we know it's completed fabricated. It bears many burdens. It's hard work. That's why writing dialogue makes or breaks a good story. Even if it IS a little heavy on the fromage.

Feel free to leave me some fresh cheese in the comments.

10 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger JTF said...

n.o.p.b.i.t.c.,
never saw "as good as it gets" but I know Helen Hunt scooped up an Oscar for it. Not mocking D Dancing or any of the other films. Dialogue doesn't have to be Shakespearean in order to be enjoyed and appreciated. If I could only write dialogue as well, ....

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Short and Sweet: "Funny how?"

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can't be serious about Velveeta cheese?!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger JTF said...

new366,
Even better than the real thing. Where's your cheese?

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, cheesy movies! What better to curl up on a rainy day than with a great cheesy chick flick. The best line i can think of to top even Leo's "I'm king of the world" is from "Ghost." Patrick Swazey says to Demi Moore, "I love you" to which Demi repeats "Ditto." How horrible is that. You are trying to be all sentimental because you are dead and you can finally communicate your undying love to the woman who completes you and she says Ditto. What a let down. Now a days, Ashton would have said you just got punked or something like that instead of Ditto. Oh well gotta love the cheesiness. Other wise there would be nothing to talk about at the end of the movie! So thank you to whoever invented this comforting genre!

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So.... My little "funny how?" quote don't get no reaction? What am I on your pay-me-no-mind list? Hope you remember what happened to Spider .....

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger JTF said...

Tommy,
Mi scusi, I was a bit afraid to respond. I guess, though, I forgot what you did to Spider when he didn't respond. I'll know better next time. And . . . yes, Tommy, good line!! Yes, you're funny, but you know, in a storytelling way, not that I think you're a clown. Capisce?

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One cheesy movie quote that came to my mine while reading your blog was from The Notebook- although there are most likely a million more lines in that movie that could be classified under the cheesy romantic, this one in particular really got to me. It got to a point where i was embarassed to be watching!! (and believe me this is one of my all time favorite movies!) It is the scene where Allie and Noah are playing in the water in there extremely... interesting... swimming attire. Allie notices the birds flying in the sky and then pretends to be a bird, making Noah agree with her that she is one. Watching Noah cave into her demand that he call her a bird was enough! But of course, the tear-jerker romantic movie that it is had to carry it further...
Allie: now say that you're a bird!
Noah: If your a bird, then im a bird.
Feeling a bit sick? yeah me too!

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All these movies you have mentioned are ultimate classics, and its because of these lines that the are classics. Of course there are other lines and scenes within in the movie that come to mind that make it one of your all time favorites. Like in Dirty Dancing when they are practicing the lifts in the water, or in Jerry Maguire, and Tom Cruises infamous scene with Cuba Gooding Jr. where the two of the are screaming "SHOW ME THE MONEY." One of the classic movie quotes comes from The Breakfast club, at the end of the movie, when Brian writes the paper for all of the dentainees. "...In the simplest terms and most convinient definitions, each one of us in a jock, a brain, a princess, a basketcase, and a crimina. Sincerly Yours the Breakfast Club." I mean sure they are cheesy when you really sit down and think about them, but when you are caught in the moment of watching the movie, you can't help but think, "man i couldnt have said it better."

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Movies without cheesy scenes would be boring. Everyone wants a cheesy scene in their real life. I would love for a Jerry MaGuire to barge into my house with all those people there and tell me what a jerk he's been. If i was shoved around my whole like I would love to have a Patrick Swazey stand up for me. Cheesey scenes add something to movies that realism just couldn't do. If everything in movies was realistic, movies would not be as popular as they are. They make us want to be the characters. They make us want to watch more, see what happens. Anyone can appriciate a cheesy scene even you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home