Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Tilling the Garden (Even Dead Poets Like Thoreau Would Agree)

"I did not read books that summer. I hoed beans." Any flashbacks to grade 10, Henry David Thoreau and the summer section of Walden? No? Oh well. Between golf practice, cutting grass, and the now EXTRA-ordinary school business of grading research papers, my blogging muse seems to have taken a spring vacation, probably someplace where the weather is just as nice and there AREN'T any research papers to grade. Lucky him or her. There will be opportunities for me to write before school ends, I'm sure. So check back to Schoolsville, maybe, once a week, where I might again be "quizzing the wallpaper and reprimanding the air" before the year is over. Meanwhile, enjoy John Keating and the boys at Welton.

2 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of your writing, you should post your free verse for your 2005 class. we never finished it! i love inspiring work like that, i think if a person REALLY listens and feels the work and makes themself vulnurable enough to let themselves relate to it with innocence and ignorance, they can really get a lot out of it. maybe even later in life, they'll remember a certain line you wrote that will pop into their head and be able to relate it to what they are experiencing; and then understand what YOU meant when they read it at first.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger JTF said...

anonymous,

Thanks for the kind words and your ideas. I think I may post it . . . though I would be "risking absurdity and even death," I'm sure. As sort of a poetic safety net, let me first explain that you may not fully "get" many of the references in the poem, since they are Class of 2006 "in jokes."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home