Monday, December 30, 2013

Seniors #3 Final Journal: The Gift of the Magi


The last paragraph of O. Henry's classic Christmas tale says it all. Hopefully, you realize the author's irony. O. Henry's story is NOT uneventful, and certainly not LAMELY related. Most importantly, Jim and Della were NOT two foolish children. Here's the ending for you to read again.:

"The magi, as you know, were wise men--wonderfully wise men--who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents. Being wise, their gifts were no doubt wise ones, possibly bearing the privilege of exchange in case of duplication. And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house. But in a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest. O all who give and receive gifts, such as they are wisest. Everywhere they are wisest. They are the magi. "

How about if you take some time to lamely relate the greatest gift that you ever gave, or the most special one that you ever received? If you do, you'll be spreading the Gift of the Magi, and one of the true joys of the Christmas season?


For a good laugh, check out this classic video and commercial to see how happy these children were to receive a Nintendo N64 back in 2006. Better turn down the sound because the little boy gets a bit excited. 


2 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Corryn B Purple said...

I checked schoolsville!

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Patrick M Purple said...

I find the most joy in giving gifts to others. Picking out the perfect gift for someone is not easy, but it sure is rewarding. The feeling you get when someone unwraps a gift you bought especially for them is priceless. The best part about giving a gift is that the monetary value does not matter. A gift that costs a dollar may be better than the gift that costs a thousand.
November 21st is a special day in my family. This day is the birthday for my dad, who is the youngest of six kids, and my Aunt Kathy, who is the oldest of the six. My Aunt Kathy and I are very close. Over the past few years I have watched her overcome many obstacles, which has only strengthened my respect for her. I know that she would think nothing less of me if I did not get her a nice gift for her birthday, but I wanted to get her something that she really wanted. Jimmy Buffett tickets.
I think this was the perfect idea. A nice weekend in Atlantic City to see one of her favorite musicians play live would be great. Jimmy Buffett has the kind of sound that tends to make you forget about your worries. I purchased the tickets with my own money a few weeks before her birthday. From the minute she opened the envelope to the minute we walked up to Boardwalk Hall on the Atlantic City Boardwalk she could not wait to see her Jimmy Buffett. While all the old people were “wasted away again in Margaritaville” I may have been the youngest person in attendance, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time. I enjoyed my time so much because I know Aunt Kathy was having the time of her life. The smile on her face while she sang Jimmy Buffett’s corny hits was indeed priceless. To bring that much joy to someone is why I love to give gifts even more than receiving them. That experience is something that she and I will remember forever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home