Monday, December 30, 2013

Sophs: Post Christmas Holiday Work & Pre-Exam Work

I will begin a mini-unit on mid-19th century American poetry when we return on Thursday. It will consist of the following poets and poems: William Cullen Bryant ("To a Waterfowl"), Henry Wadsworth Longfellow ("The Tide Rises, The Tide Falls"), and Oliver Wendell Holmes ("Old Ironsides"). I will give you biographical and literary notes on each of these authors on a handout.

For Monday January 6, you should have read "The Fall of the House of Usher," a short story by Edgar Allan Poe that is in your text book and is available online. I will post on Studywiz and hand out a pre-reading guide for that story that includes notes on Poe. We will study Poe for at least two days--one day on this story and another on his poem "The Raven."

I will collect journals from ALL CLASSES on Wednesday, January 8. The assignments were: Jim Valvano, Be Like Ben (Franklin), The American Dream, and the Stock Character. Make sure what you hand in is your "best" work for this will be your last "major" graded assignment for the second quarter.

Later during this same week  we will study two Transcendentalists authors, Ralph Waldo Emerson (pp. 365-371 in your book) and Henry David Thoreau (pp. 377-387).

To get ahead, you should read any or all of these works.

One last note: we will NOT finish The Greatest Generation until after semester examinations.







27 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Anonymous MadisonBreske Yellow said...

I saw and read the post.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Nicolo B. - Yellow said...

I checked the post. Happy New Years!

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous victorG blue said...

I saw your post happy new years Mr. Fiorelli.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Brenna M Green said...

Checked Schoolsville! Thanks for letting us know what'll be happening. Hope you had a great holiday!

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Spencer H. Green said...

I've been checking schoolsville.

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Spencer H. Green said...

I've been checking schoolsville.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous AndyR Yellow said...

I saw the post. Happy holidays

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Lauren M. Green said...

Merry (late) Christmas and Happy New Years Mr. Fiorelli!!

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Madison Burnham - yellow said...

I have checked this.

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Hayden L yellow said...

What's up mr. Fiorelli.

 
At 2:35 AM, Anonymous JoanneC Blue said...

I Checked It!

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous caitlin O green said...

I checked schoolsville

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous ShawnE yellow said...

Got it

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Sean G blue said...

happy new year

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Kai S. Blue said...

I have reviewed your post above.

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Ayanna w. green said...

I'm not sure if my post went through before because I was posting from my phone for the first time. So I'm posting this also.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Ayanna w. green said...

I'm not sure if my post went through before because I was posting from my phone for the first time. So I'm posting this also.

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Chris H. Yellow said...

I have checked schoolsville and would really like that extra point on my last test. Thanks

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous AnnaS green said...

I saw it! Happy New Year Mr. Fiorelli! (I already tried sending this twice earlier, but I was on my phone so i'm not sure if it sent, so if this is the third repeat i'm sorry!)

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous C.J. S Blue said...

I'm wondering why no one else has posted a comment a yet. I guess they don't check schoolsville like me.

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous C.J. S Blue said...

I'm wondering why no one has posted a comment yet. I guess they don't check schoolsville like me.

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Eric S Yellow said...

I've seen the post

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Tommy A. Yellow said...

Commenting to let you know I have checked schoolsville.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Kara W. Yellow said...

I saw and read the posts. Happy New Years!

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Alex C blue said...

I checked schoolsville! Happy New Year!

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Meaghan K Blue said...

I checked the post. Happy New Year!

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous CullenR BLUE said...

I checked schoolsville

 

Post a Comment

<< Home