Thursday, November 14, 2013

POETRY OUT LOUD

The following message is from Mrs. Healey. See her in room 366 if you have any questions. 

It is time for POETRY OUT LOUD again. St. Mark’s contest will be held this year on Thursday, December 12, for about an hour after school. As a reminder, Poetry Out Loud is a national recitation contest for high school students. In its 10th year, the contest awards a $20,000 scholarship to the national winner in April of each year.  This will be St. Mark’s fourth year in the contest. Freshmen through seniors are welcome to participate. It is a great opportunity for students to flex their poetry muscles, and every year I am surprised by which students do well: it is not always the students I expect.
 
Please announce the contest in your classes. I need participants. (FYI: my classes recite a poem each year in Q2, so they are already primed. If you are interested in how I fit it into my curriculum, I would be glad to share my lessons.) The rules are simple. Each contestant must memorize two poems chosen from the Poetry Out Loud web anthology (poetryoutloud.org) and recite them in front of three judges and the other contestants. They do not have to be long poems, and the majority of the poems on the site are contemporary.  
 
I have application forms for them, and would be glad to coach any student--with your help, if you are willing. Please send anyone who is interested to me in Room 366 or to the English Office for an application form and information. Every year is a great experience for my students and me; it is always a privilege to see those who do not always shine during class surprise their classmates with a powerful poem.  I highly recommend this contest for kids who need a resume item on college applications or just a boost to their confidence.  Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home