Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Grades 10/12: Directions for Posting Comment at Schoolsville


Here are some simple directions on how you should post comments at Schoolsville: 

1. Go to the bottom of the blog post and click on the underscored words that indicate the number of comments (to the left of the mail envelope).

2. Type your comment (or better yet, copy and paste your comments from a Word document) in the box that reads "Leave your comment." 

3. Choose an identity by clicking the circle that reads "Name/URL." When you do, a box will open in which you'll leave your first name, the first letter of your last name, followed by a space which will be followed by your section color. For instance I might leave the name "JohnF blue"(John Fiorelli, blue class) if I were a student in the blue section.  Do NOT click the "anonymous" option. 

4. Then click the box to "publish your comment." Your comment will not be immediately posted, but a message at the top of the page should say that "your comment has been saved." I moderate the comments, meaning that I'll check them for their appropriateness before I post them.  

NOTE 1:it's always good practice to compose your comments in a Word document that you can edit (before you copy and paste into the comment box) and then save your responses for printing at the end of the marking period. 

NOTE 2: unless instructed differently, comments should run a minimum of 200 words. 

NOTE 3: sometimes, you'll be given a blog post specifically for your section color, so you must post your comments there, still indicating your initials and section color.

3 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Alexis P said...

Depression is an awful thing to see someone go through, but it’s even worse to watch a child experience it. My cousin, Andrew, who is only eight years old, is going through one of the hardest times in his life. His mother and father are recently divorced. They’ve tried to protect him as much as they possibly could, but nothing could have protected him from this. What is a child to do when his heart is torn in two, between a mother and a father who resent each other? How can he confide in them, when he feels like he is being abandoned and betrayed? Of course, both of his parents will tell him that it wasn’t his fault, that they still love him just as much as before, and that everything will be okay. Dad moved out, got a new apartment up the street, and has a grand total of about three pieces of furniture. Neither of them can afford all they need to survive and provide for their children. Mom doesn’t take the full amount of child support – an attempt to be semi-nice to the man who destroyed and gave up on their marriage. What I’m neglecting to say is the reason why they got divorced. I do this on purpose because I don’t know the entire truth, and my aunt still isn’t sure exactly what went wrong. They tried their best to explain to Andrew what was about to happen, to be as gentle as possible, but there’s no gentle way to say that the family is splitting up. He pretends he’s okay. I see him laugh, putting on a show for everyone around him, but hidden underneath that smile are the tear stained cheeks from crying himself to sleep night after night. His eyes have a sort of permanent redness to them now. He is currently seeing a counselor, and I assume it’s helping him. I want to be able to help him. I’ve made it my duty to earn his trust so he can confide in me. I will always be there for him, and I need him to know that. Every now and then I’ll take him out to do something fun, to take his mind off of everything. Hopefully he’ll open up to me. This whole thing has changed my life. My aunt can’t do it all on her own, so it’s my job to help out when I can. I do my best to be there when she needs me, and when my cousins need me. It’s impossible to sit around and watch Andrew go through this torture day after day. The day his dad walked out of that house, was the day that I stepped in.

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous christinag blue said...

My favorite work of art is a book titled The Truth About Forever written by my favorite author Sarah Dessen. The main character Macy is struggling with the loss of her beloved father after he has a heart attack. Macy actually witnessed his death, and that is why Macy feels it is her fault he died. Macy was the person in her family who took his loss the hardest, but she didn’t show it. I can relate to Macy because I also lost a family member not too long ago. I would always get upset when someone brought her up. Macy helped me to accept to fact that my aunt has passed away, and that talking about it may help. Macy has also taught me to trust other people and open myself up more easily. As one of the characters in the book says, “I just think that some things are meant to be broken. Imperfect. Chaotic. It's the universe's way of providing contrast, you know? There have to be a few holes in the road. It's how life is.” To me, this means that even though Macy’s dad died, she has more to look forward to. In the end, Macy accepts that she will never see her father again, and looks forward to moving on from the past.

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Lauren C said...

http://screencast.com/t/uadN3F0sH

Hi Fio! I thought you would appreciate this picture of me playing basketball back in the day that I came across while I was picking a picture for my Brit Lit journal. I miss your class! By the by, Schoolsville is coolsville.

P.s. be expecting more posts from me throughout the year

 

Post a Comment

<< Home