Sunday, November 03, 2013

Open House!

Exclamation-point worthy thanks to all of you who participated in the Open House today! I'm not a fan of the E! Point, but for the sake of time (yes, I have papers to grade) I'm going to employ the time-honored symbol to express my gratitude in case my writing doesn't do a good job!

I counted no less than 35 of my current students helping out--guiding tours, staffing tables in the gym and cafeteria, and singing in the chorus. Eleventh graders from last year's blue and yellow American lit sections, already accepting school leadership positions, argued over, of course, whose literature section was better!

Two basketball players answered parent and prospective student questions about our b ball program like professionals for more than three hours. I see public relations careers in your future!

Four of my former and current students were chosen to speak to the open house attendees during the theater presentations. I heard that all of you eloquently proclaimed the Good News of St. Mark's!

My good friend, English teacher Mr. Thomas DeMatteis, addressed the theater audience, too, as a former St. Mark student, athlete, coach, parent, and current teacher.  Don't doubt that he's Spartan green through and through!

Some other feel-good moments:

Personally, I reconnected with (and remembered by first name) a student that I taught at Our Lady of Fatima in 1979 and 1980. Like Billy Collins, "I forgot his last name first and first name last in alphabetical order." His son is looking at St. Mark's. My first boys' basketball manager (Class of '83) brought along her daughter who might become a Spartan soon. She is part of a North Wilmington family who sent four children to St. Mark's. A long-lost cousin (second cousin once removed, I think) introduced herself; her daughter proudly wore a St. Mark's tee shirt and is seriously thinking of joining the class of 2018. I caught up with a kind young woman from the Class of 2012.  She and her classmates are responsible for the birds taped to the walls in 367 and for forcing me to watch part of an Amanda Bynes's movie. I was excited to hear that she is currently studying journalism but still pursuing her love of fashion. Her brother, I hope, will attend St. Mark's next year, too!

I felt proudest and happiest when I caught the end of the theater presentation. As Principal Ripkin spoke, I studied the faces of the many special Spartan seniors who lined the left wall of the room.  How could anyone not want to be a part of St. Mark's? I wondered.

My reverie was then broken by a certain senior boy's trademark "whoop": his own "barbaric yawp," as Uncle Walt might say.

No, it was not disruptive or out-of-place at all! In fact, it aptly punctuated the entire day, placing the final exclamation point on a spectacular Open House!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home